As part of the Australian Government‘s COVID Relief and Recovery Fund, Ocean Rafting was selected with several other high-standard tourism operators, to engage in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park (GBRMPA) ‘Tourism Industry Activation and Reef Protection Initiative’. By repurposing crew and vessels along the Great Barrier Reef, this $3.2 million initiative has supported communities and industries severely affected by the coronavirus crisis, by ensuring business continuity as well as helping conserve and protect high-value reefs tourism sites.
The team at Ocean Rafting has grasped this fantastic opportunity, and after 3 months, delivered some incredible results! With an enthusiastic and diverse team of 14 crew and 24 passionate volunteers, here are the numbers…
- 313 ‘Eye on the Reef’ Contributions – contributing valuable data to the Marine Park officials and key decision makers.
- 100 ‘Eye on the Reef’ Sightings reported.
- 49 pests removed, such as coral eating Druplla snails.
- Removed plastics and marina debris from multiple beaches.
- Connect with the Ngaro, Gia and Juru communities.- Delveloped our teams skills and knowledge base to further enhance our guest experience.- Educated and inspired volunteers on the wonders of our backyard!
The team at Ocean Rafting is honoured to have had this incredible opportunity, not only to develop our knowledge and skillset to enhance our guests experience on the Great Barrier Reef but to give back to this incredible eco-system which we’re lucky enough to live and work on! Ocean Rafting is an Advanced Ecotourism Australia operation, and one of just 14 tourism operators Australia wide to have been entered into the coveted Ecotourism Australia ‘Hall of Fame’. Our passionate team of Master Reef Guides, Marine Biologists and Eco-Hosts strive to inform, educate and inspire each of our guests to the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef, and ensure they leave our beautiful backyard knowing a little bit more than when they arrived!